|visit E-Bots on facebook|
|FIRST LEGO League @E-Bots|
Today we went to the innovation factory and presented on lions lair. This means that there is a possibility of a 5000 dollar fund for the production of ouer product. The presentation went very well, we made a sale, and they seemed very interested, so this may be a success and the takeoff of our product.
This entry to the blog will recap all things traht have happened since December. The major event is that our team has won the provincials and were invited to the World Festival in St. Loius! We've been working extremly hard on our project as well as our robot and are in the final stretch of work before we head off to Worlds. We have completely redesigned our robots and, at best score 535 points and hope to consistantly score this. We do, however allow ourself 40 points of slack. as to the project we have produced our toolkit and to date have sold 18 copies. We are hoping to bring some copies to the worlds and share them there. We might be getting a government grant for 5000 dollars. We have advanced very far and hope that it will pay off at the worlds.
Today we first found out what we needed to edit for our script and also what we could do to make it better. Then we split up and some of us started programming and some of us worked on the script editing and some of us started editing the robot. So far we have finished a program that gets the green pill back to base, we have finished a coulour sensor attatchment and an attatchment that connects to the arm and collects the green pill. We have also finished and designed a new robot. It was finished in 1 meeting. The robot was finished quickly beacuse we made a list of our robot standards. Such as;
- 3rd Motor
- Front Wheel Drive
- 2 Light Sensors
- Touch Sensor
- Colour Sensor
- Quick Attatch System
- Light Sensor Sheilding
- Light Sensors Close to the Outside of the Robot
- Weight on Drive Wheels
- Hinged Arm on 3rd Motor
We have also completed an attatchment for the pills and the blue quilts. Also we have ajusted the orange quilts attatchment so it fits our new robot.
Some of our team before regionals went to Bertram House to try our product on 9 seniors and every one of them liked it. Before that we also went to the OSCR (oakville senior cizetens residence) to survey some seniors to see if they would buy our products, what they like to talk about, if they do activities at the home and a few other questions. Which got us some pie charts. Also we got a geriaterician to come to us to ask for questions about what isolation could lead to and what our product could do for seniors to become less isolated and for kids to find a way to talk to their grandparents with out the conversation dieing out quickly. Another one of our experts was Accliam Health. We asked if our product was good, if seniors would likr\use it and tips on how our product could be improved. We also went to the Science Centre Robots Rule event so that we could share our robot and our presentation for
Today we decided to spilt the team up on the project to get it done faster. We had Liam Mal. work on the documantation of the robot. Rebecca Was working on the card designs for out project. Justin was finding experts and made them into a list. Ashley was writing and editing the letters to the experts. I was the one to be walking around and writing down the events and helping rebbeca with the card Designs. it was too bad that we were missing 3 of our members but we will catch them up on what happened today and get them backin action next saturday when they will be here next.
Today we worked on the questions for our project. We have 50 questions for elderly to ask kids and 50 questions for kids to ask elderly. We also have 30 topic ideas. It took a long time but we got all of the done.
Here's some examples of our topics:
Music, Events, School, Books, Tradition, Sports, Fun, Food, Hobbies, Movies, Resturants, Weather, World and Media.
Today we did a lot of reasearch on what our project should be about. We started out with 2 main ideas: Oxygen tanks and isolation/socialization. We took a vote and decided that we are going to reasearch why seniors are isolated and what precent of all seniors are isolated. The precentage of isolated seniors was 20%. One of the things that we realized was that the grandchildren of most elederly don't have anything to talk about with them. So we created a game that can help communication with grandchildren and other people that they can talk about. The way the game works is that there is a deck of cards that have topics on them. You pick the first card off the top of the deck and whatever the card says on it thats what you talk about. So, if the topic is music you and the person/people that you are playing with that's what you talk about.
Todaywas our first day on our team. There are 8 people on our team, and today we got to meet each other. But today after we met everyone we started to stragitize and think of attatchments that we could use for the missions. We haven't exactly started building all of the attatchments but we have started on some. With some of the time that we had some people took notes, some people looked for "loop holes" for the missions and some people started to think about how the attatchments could be built. Some people even started to build the attatchment and a rough copy of the robot.